Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fulfilling childhood dreams

When I was a little girl, I desperately wanted an American Girl doll.  I would write on the little postcard to make sure I received a catalog, and just pore and pore over those.  I knew exactly which doll I would buy (Molly), and what outfits I would order for her, IF ONLY.

With 7 brothers and sisters, money was tight so an outlandishly expensive toy was not in the cards.  I pined and pined for that American Girl doll for years.  I fantasized about going to one of the actual stores (back then, there were 2 - New York and Chicago, which may as well have been in outer space) and having lunch after having lovingly selected my Molly doll and several  new outfits for her to wear. This dream got shelved for many years but I continued to get the American Girl catalogs and always would gleefully go through and dogear the pages which had items I would buy.

Finally, at age 25, I went to New York with my sisters and mom.  The most important thing on my list of things to do in this great and glorious city was - you guessed it - go to American Girl!  I budgeted for myself to buy a doll and many other things.  This was a big deal!  Only one of my sisters came with me, and of course my mother.  She felt bad that she had never been able to afford this much desired treasure for me.  I was just excited to finally have my Molly doll and be able to buy the things I had wanted for her.  It was more about the act of being able to fulfill a childhood dream than the actual item.

Next month, I will be going to the L.A store and finally  having lunch at American Girl!  I am so excited to finally be able to fulfill that particular childhood dream.  I already know how giddy I will be, not as much for the 31 year old me, but for the little 10 year old me whose longtime dream will finally be realized.  Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment