I'm officially old I guess becuz I am ready to start my rant about how ungrateful and rude teenagers today can be. Not all - I will not be so obtuse as to incorporate every teenager out there into my diatribe - but a vast majority, I can perhaps safely say. Too many, at any rate.
I know kids were like that when I was in high school so I know it really isn't just teens now. The frenz I had were just not like that. We were grateful for what we had. If we could borrow a rattletrap car off a parent for an evening, that was like the best thing ever. There was never any complaining about what kind of car it was.
It seriously is maddening to see how many kids feel like things are owed to them simply becuz they exist. What happened to working for what you have? I was certainly not handed anything in my life and I am glad for that. My husband and I have worked hard and done things largely on our own throughout our lives. (We did not grow up together, just similarly. Had to clarify.)
My son asked me the other day as he was playing on the laptop (this was our only computer for years) if I liked to play on my laptop when I was a kid. I had to remind him I had only gotten a laptop a few months prior - the first computer I have ever owned, at 31. We were barely able to make our bills when I was growing up, much less have any extra for luxuries. Are you kidding me?! My husb grew up the same way and we very much appreciate everything we have. Besides the fact that laptops were not as common until recently.
My first trip to Hawaii - age 30. My son's first trip to Hawaii - not quite 3 years old. What! Of course we want better things for our kids and want more for them than we had growing up. I also want my kids to appreciate the things they do have. There is always going to be someone out there with way more than you have and also someone with way less, no matter where you are at in life. It feels good to work hard and be able to buy things for yourself. There is nothing quite the same as working for something to make you appreciate it so much more.
When I see teenagers, or any age child for that matter, assuming they should have something just - becuz - nearly sends me into a frenzy. Freaking be grateful for what you have. Stop assuming people are going to pay your way. Be willing to work hard. No job is beneath you. You are not better than anyone else, regardless of what label is on your pants or shoes, or what little metal hood ornament or sequence of letters and numbers CX38 or whatever is on your car - none of that matters. It does not make you any better than anyone else.
I find it interesting when people we know make fun of our old van. Yes, it is 13 years old and has no backup camera or seat warmers and has a taped up side view mirror (I broke it once, paid $300 to get it fixed,and promptly broke it again. It works and is fine.) As a general shout out to all those who have commented, WE CAN AFFORD A NICER CAR, please don't worry about us. We chose to purchase an older car to have a low payment and guess what, we have no car payments now. So thanks, I will happily roll around town in my old ass van.
That took a different turn but related to the - you aren't better than anyone else based on what you drive - small retort from me felt necessary.
I'm so glad many of my frenz with kids are raising their children to be thoughtful, kind, hardworking, and appreciative. Here's hoping we create a grateful and decent new wave of teenagers for the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment