Growing up Mormon, you are conditioned to always be looking to the future for marriage, always thinking about your future mate, so it is no wonder that I have dreamed about the person I would marry since I was like 5. I've always seen a picture in my head of what this guy would look like, and even in my life when I would be dating someone seriously, I knew that person was not "my" person. For lots and lots of reasons, and I didn't think there was only 1 person in the universe I could potentially be with, but that there was, in fact, A person I would indeed be with, and so I waited patiently and sometimes impatiently, for this person.
My husband was so worth the wait. I am one of the lucky ones to be able to say I literally married my dream man. He is exactly what I pictured the person I married would look like. Not to say he is perfect or that we don't have problems like any other couple, but I am fortunate enough to be going through life and all its ups and downs with my favorite friend by my side. I am not a sappy person in general but just factually speaking, I would be a fool to not realize how blessed I am to have a husband whom I adore and genuinely enjoy being around.
I find him delightful, really I do. He is not someone who laughs super easily, you have to work for it, and is an introvert by nature but somehow puts up with my constant stream of chatter and lets it flow over him, luckily not letting much of it soak in. Smart as a whistle, funny as hell, one of the most random people you can meet (likes Snoop Dog and Amy Grant almost equally, I'd say), hardworking, fun, easygoing, and just a wonderful guy all around. Sure, he may leave his chonies around, but I will take that any day if it means I have him in my life safe and sound.
We both agree that our wedding day was definitely not the best day of our life, like you are "supposed" to feel, nor the days that our children were born. They were wonderful and certainly important days, but I tell you what, my favorite day ever was not a day where my choochie ripped open and I was fat as a sow. Wedding days are busy and whirlwindy and so much is going on, it is hard to really be in the moment when you have people to talk to and all that, and just, yeah, we agree our best days are just the ordinary days where we hang out as a family and have pauses where we drink in the beauty of a moment or our kids laughter, the simple stuff.
My husb didn't have a dad in his life and I think it makes him extra conscientious of being the best dad he can be. He is completely besotted with our children, and loves them to tiny bitty pieces. This is not the case for every dad out there, and I fully realize how lucky we are to have this man. He also has seen me at my worst in every aspect at certain times and still loves me. That there is something! Gotta love a guy who can not only let you be you, but supports that.
One thing I find so fun about our life together is that he is making my dreams come true. Case in point: When I was little, I always wanted to paint my room black. That was so not happening in my life, so when he and I got our first place together, I suggested it and we were at Home Depot later that day. I got my black room! It was only briefly in that particular place but it filled that little box in my heart nonetheless.
Another was eating at that restaurant in Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland. As a youngster, I was befuddled by the people eating there - how did you even get over there - the whole thing was a mind hump. Life with my husb - we've eaten there twice now. Woot! Things like that, small and simple but so, so important to someone like me. I have a long laundry list of things I want to do and accomplish in life and am checking those things off, one by one, with him tolerating my wigginess about that and - everything - along the way.
Like I said, I'm not one to get real sappy but I also have made stops at some dark stations on my life train so I know to appreciate all I have and to be grateful. And I am! Grateful for my wonderful husband who is so, so cool and grateful for the life and family we have built. How could I have this good fortune and not recognize it. So I gotta. :)
<3 this post! You guys really are MFEO <3 <3 <3
ReplyDelete